Friday, October 05, 2007

Onward




"Onward" is the motto of the King's Own Calgary Regiment, where Nathan Hornburg trained.
It was also a word brought up repeatedly at the funeral yesterday.

A whole bunch of grad students and professors from U of C trooped down to support Rachel and the family, including Brent and I. There were many many people there, and Rachel probably didn't even realize we were all there, but that's ok. I'm so glad we went. I cried through the whole thing, for the loss of a brother, of a good man, of a human being who died while he still had so much potential for life.

I'm sure I've mentioned before, that we are huge fans of a singer/songwriter from Fort Macleod named John Wort Hannam. We saw him live in Nanton, actually, with Rachel and Tyler. He sang yesterday at the funeral. He sang two of my favourite songs of his--well, I have a lot of favourite songs of his--but these are two real heart-wrenchers. The second song, "Church of the Long Grass" to me epitomizes Rachel's family and the connection to the Albertan landscape that I too feel. The first one, the lyrics of which are printed below, made me cry before, but now it has a real personal meaning.

My boy came home from the war today
I stood by as his plane touched down
An infantry man on foreign shores
coming on back to his home town
and it seems so long
since he's been gone
I stand before him now and I gaze in disbelief
My boy came home from the war today draped in the Maple Leaf

My boy came home from the war today
With a medal for valour in combat
They hoisted him high on their shoulders
and everyman gathered there clutched his hat
but no fanfare played
and no speeches were made
no pretty young maids waved a handkerchief
My boy came home from the war today draped in the Maple Leaf

When my boy came home from the war today he was draped in the Maple Leaf
My boy came home from the war today now my heart is filled with grief.

Please go have a listen on John Wort Hannam's website (or directly linked to here--just click on the audio button at the top). And photographs and articles from the funeral can be seen on the Calgary Herald website...much better than the Calgary Sun articles.

The death still lies heavily on our hearts today but this morning I woke up with this song in my head for some reason, and as usual music heals many hurts for me. The song's subject matter is not really related but Joni's voice is lovely. Here's a Youtube video of it...don't watch the slideshow if it's too distracting:


No comments: