Thursday, May 21, 2009

Plants and Music

I find I have to search out and be mindful of cheerful and joyful things these days. It's easy to remain caught up in my cloud of gray sadness and wonder about what-ifs and should-have-beens. But if I count my blessings and measure plant growth, it forces me to dwell in the now and the dependable future.
So, without further ado:
Yesterday a friend dropped by with a tomato plant. What better gift for aspiring vegetable gardeners? We spent some time discussing the pros and cons of fertilizer, how to build a coldframe with a thermostat and the probability of Calgary remaining frost free for the rest of the season (I would say chances are not great). Nevertheless, we're going to plant the tomato out and take our chances.
And in addition to a happily accepted plant, we're so blessed by the friendship of said tomato-givers, with whom we have a symbiotic plant-babysitting relationship as well as a mutual appreciation for things growing, green, outside, natural, rural... (and the list could go on). I am always astonished and blessed by kindred spirits.
Today our four new albums came. So far we're listening to the Once soundtrack. It's the perfect balance of melancholic and joyful for my mood right now. Then we're going to listen to Jimmy Rankin of Rankin Family fame. Slightly less melancholy but still far from fluffy or bubble-gum cheerful. The world is a serious place. And again of friendship. At the same time as our cd parcel, we received a card from friends I've known as long as I have memories, who just wrote to say they cared. We are indeed blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You talk tomato-gardening with my dad at the wedding! He builds individual greenhouses for each plant now. We find it amusing :)
Cindy

Anonymous said...

*you CAN talk tomato-gardening* Oops :)

Jo said...

I would say chance of frost from now on is relatively low (until end of August).

The North Wind is not predicted to return until this Monday (June 1) at which point there is an 18% chance of frost (in an average year), statistically speaking. Granted, this is a below average year temperature wise... so who knows! Just have some blankets ready.