Thursday, November 17, 2005

Second post (oh wow)

Kirstin here. I'm procrastinating editing my two papers that are due tomorrow and this is a good excuse as any to avoid editing (my least favorite part of paper-writing). Quote for the day: was reading a Madeline L'Engle book that I read as a teenager and found this quote "Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God". That got me to thinking about Raffi, for some reason, because I remember my mum saying that when her dad died in '89 she took solace in Raffi's song "Everything Grows". Can't explain that thought sequence much further than it's amazing how our streamline of conscious flows, hey? If you haven't read Ring of Endless Light or any of L'Engle's books, do. They are incredible. Lots of theological content, meaning of life, existence of other worlds, existence of eternity. Lots to ponder. Also, do find some Raffi. He truly is full of joy. As my friend Niels once said, I wish I had a voice as good as Raffi's. Last thoughts before returning to editing: Today for the second time I passed a man with down sydrome on campus. Last time I met him I had just been pondering how unfriendly people are as they walk to and fro across campus. Then I saw him and he met my eyes and said "Hi!" and I said Hi back. Today when I saw him he was singing heartily. It was fantastic. I wish I was so uninhibited that I could walk across campus singing--probably I would sing Raffi. We should all be more like this man...or like Forrest Gump, actually. "Hello, my name's Forrest, Forrest Gump." Off to editing "David Thompson: Cartographer, Surveyor, Natural Historian"

No comments: