Sunday, January 22, 2006

Street performers, snow and running

We had a very adventurous Friday, Brent and I. After class we took the train down to Kensington to find running shoes for Brent. However, they didn't have the size Brent needed (surprise, surprise) so we walked down the street, across a bridge over the Bow River, and down through Prince's Island Park to Eaue Claire Market where another Running Room DID have the size he needed. Then we took the train to MEC and picked up some running tights for both of us. Mine were on sale for fifteen dollars! As we were waiting on the platform for the train to go home again, there was a street performer singing behind us. He had his guitar and an amplifier and he was lovely. He was like a cross between John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot and my Uncle Pede (Sveistrup). He was selling CDs for seven dollars, but I didn't have enough for that, only two dollars which I threw into his guitar case. He sang "You've Got a Friend in Me", which was written by Carole King (pictured at the bottom) and was made popular by James Taylor(top picture). When you're down and troubled And you need a helping hand And nothing, whoa nothing is going right. Close your eyes and think of me And soon I will be there To brighten up, even your darkest nights. You just call out my name, And you know wherever I am I'll come running, oh yeah baby To see you again. Winter, spring , summer, or fall, All you have to do is call And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. You've got a friend. If the sky above you Should turn dark and full of clouds And that old north wind should begin to blow Keep your head together and call my name out loud And soon I will be knocking upon your door. You just call out my name and you know wherever I am I'll come running to see you again. Winter, Spring, summer or fallAll you got to do is call And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend? People can be so cold. They'll hurt you and desert you. Well they'll take your soul if you let them. Oh yeah, but don't you let them. You just call out my name and you know wherever I am I'll come running to see you again. Oh babe, don't you know that, Winter Spring summer or fall, Hey now, all you've got to do is call. Lord, I'll be there, yes I will. You've got a friend.You've got a friend. Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. You've got a friend. I'll probably never see the singer again, which makes me a little sad because he created such a magical moment there on the train platform. I wasn't the only one singing along. He was smiling and seemed so joyful that he could provide music to the world. It was lovely. After we got home, we realised we were out of milk so we walked down to the grocery store to get some. By this time it was dark and snowing lightly. It wasn't cold at all, just beautiful. Then we decided to walk the other way and have coffee at a little coffee shop up the road called "Coffee and S'cream"--half of it is a coffee shop and the other half is an indoor playground. Neat place! Then we ran into Becky and Eric who invited us out for supper and a movie. There was a long time between supper and when the movie started, so we went to Second Cup (I had the best London Fog I've ever tasted). We sat and looked at Calgary fancy house magazines. We had a very good evening with Eric and Bec. :) Yesterday morning I convinced Brent to go running with me! We're going to run a half marathon together in the spring, so we've started training. I'm very glad for the company running, it makes it less lonely. Plus, it gets both of us out of the house and doing something active, which is very nice.

No comments: