Thursday, September 06, 2007

Kananaskis #2



We did lots of lazing around--especially on one day when we spent three hours reading on the beach of Upper Kananaskis Lake--read and threw sticks in the water for Kiera to retreive. I got so engrossed in my book that I had a hard time putting it down at all! Consequently, the picture where everyone else is enjoying the view while I read.

Heading out, Brent made the impetuous decision to take Highway 1A home rather than the Trans-Canada. Coming upon the McDougall Church, we decided to stop and take a look, as I had never done so before. The Church is one of the oldest remainging churches in Alberta...it is 137 years old, if I remember my facts correctly. Coincidentally, a member of the Historical Society that looks after the site drove up while we were there and offered to let us int0 the church to look around. We could not, of course, pass up that opportunity! In the church is what is probably the piano longest in Alberta...it was shipped from Hudson's Bay via fur trader canoe and Red River Cart to Fort Edmonton and then down south...and it remains in complete working order! The church society owns 40 acres of land there. The prairies grasses are left untouched, there are remnants of the old Calgary highway and foundations of old houses and trading posts, in addition to the still-standing and maintained Church and house. If I was planning my wedding now, I would definitely consider getting married here!

1 comment:

Peter and Lorraine said...

One way to empty the tent and pack up to go home! Looks like a super time! Hope you can do it again down the line and enjoy more of our great province!!