Friday, May 02, 2008

Just a coupla things


We're off to Lacombe for the weekend, to run some errands and, more importantly, spend some long overdue quality time with family.

Just a couple of things then before we go:

Today's Calvin and Hobbes: interesting in light of so many things going on today. Rice shortages everywhere--including here in Calgary. The price of basmati rice has almost doubled in our Co-op, and there was little of it to be had. Have you noticed this too, Rach and Trev? I've heard that a lot of the food shortages in the world are because of 1) the new production of biodiesel (which is controversial in its own right) and 2) the loss of farmland in general. As my brother Karl is fond of lecturing us, don't complain about farmers with your mouth full.

Also, strange weather occuring all through North America. Major flooding, tornadoes where they don't normally occur. Like it or not, the climate is changing.

Call me a tree-hugger if you wish, but I think we all need to be very mindful of our use (and misuse) of green space and of our society's overwhelming force of consumerism. Brent and I are of the opinion that experiences are more important to life than "stuff." Of course, this doesn't always work. We need a vehicle that runs. And, because we live in North America, one set of clothes just isn't socially acceptable. But you know what are fun? Hand-me-downs. I just got a couple of shirts from a friend. I really like hand-me-downs. New-to-me and already broken in in. (Although as a kid, they were not so much a treat).

These are my thoughts for today. Anyone want to add or disagree?

Finally, a webcam in London for your viewing pleasure. Thirteen days til we go...

1 comment:

The Olson's said...

We have not noticed any rice shortages in Korea... yet. Every meal it seems that we have almost an entire meal of ONLY rice. Yuck. Two years of a heavy rice diet is enough.

The issues that we are dealing with are the rejection of all beef from the States based on mad-cow and AI chicken. Needless to say, every meal as of late has been pork or fish.

So as for a shortage of rice, we have not seen it in any form.