Thursday, November 19, 2009

Convocation

Oh yes, I sure did graduate with the cap and gown and hood and the whole bit. It was a really great experience...except for the sore legs from standing for an hours before things started, and then sitting for three hours through 500+ students graduating. But to be there as three out of four "Mistresses of History" graduating from our year (see the photograph) and to have finally, finally finished. Wow. But most of all, I was blessed by the love and support and encouragement of so many friends and family. There was no way I would have made it through the program on my own, and I loved that I could share what really was a momentous day with so many of my favourite people. We had some friends and family over in the evening of convocation--mostly people in close vicinity or who I knew wouldn't be able to make an afternoon convocation but who would come to an evening party. Two of my brothers and the third brother's wife drove up; both my parents and my in-laws came; an aunt and an uncle from BC planned their visit so they could be there; an old family friend came; Brent's siblings and in-laws all came; and some of our very good friends from the Calgary area dropped by. They came with hugs and congratulations and hand-made cards and food and FLOWERS and gifts. And most of all, with love. I felt so, so loved and surrounded by caring people. It took me forever to fall asleep that night, I was so busy thinking about what awesome people we know. Thanks, everyone, for your love. And thank you God, for making us relational beings, able to love one another. (My only regret is that we didn't take any pictures of the evening. Bah.)

2 comments:

m said...

you look beautiful :)

Peter and Lorraine said...

Awesome photo, and everyone looks so relieved! A long time coming to get to this point. Congratulations again and we were blessed to spend it with you!