Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Family

Something to think about: "What is family? We are family or not largely because of the way we treat each other...In a true family we honor each other. We do not control, dominate, manipulate. Power is not a family value. Family can be a movable feast. It can be a group of friends sitting around the dining table for an evening. It can be one or two people coming to stay with me for a few nights or a few weeks. It should be the church...Family can be our house churches, our Bible study groups, our prayer groups. Family ultimately means commitment. I am deeply committed to my family, with all its brokenness and fallenness. I am deeply committed to my friends, some of whom have been in my heart since I was a teenager, some who have come more recently. It is the commitment which makes family. The people we eat with, around the altar, or around the dining table at home." --Madeleine L'Engle, Bright Evening Star: Mystery of the Incarnation

No comments: