Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Do-Over

Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other EmbarrassmentsDo-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments by Robin Hemley

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A quick but thought-provoking humourous autiobiographical book in which the author revisits his bad experiences of childhood and attempts to re-do some of them. I appreciated Hemley's honesty and humility in revisiting old relationships and his down-to-earth writing style. The book made me think about what from my youth I regret and would want to re-do.

Two things from my youth that I would re-do:


1) When all my brothers learned to drive the tractor, bobcat, swather and other implements, I didn't push to learn--I didn't need to, my brothers could. But now I wish I had learned when I had the chance.


2) In high school, I "knew" I was headed for a life of academics, so I didn't bother taking any of the practical skill classes like mechanics, carpentry, or even sewing. Rather, I took allllll the academic courses (but dropped out grade twelve physics partway through) and lots and lots of band classes. Oh yes, I was that band geek.


So, what would you redo?


View all my reviews

No comments: