Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Last Child in the Woods

Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit DisorderLast Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A thought-provoking book to be sure, Louv's critique of our society made me think carefully about my relationship with the outdoors both when I was growing up and now, and how I want to share the natural world with my own children. He points out what I have always felt--that people, whether adults or children, are more calm, organized and directed when they have natural space to be in.



I have always treasured and enjoyed natural landscapes in my surroundings, and Louv emphasizes just how important--and how precarious--those spaces are as our population grows and becomes more suburbanized.



I appreciate how Louv ended on a hopeful note, outlining ways that people can get involved to protect natural spaces and ways to share them with the next generation.



I highly recommend this book to individuals with a vested interest in future generations of children, and in the future and place of natural spaces, plants and animals in our world.



View all my reviews

No comments: