Thursday, February 05, 2009

Way Over Yonder in The Minor Key

Song from Radio 2 Morning today, written by Woody Guthrie and sung by Billy Bragg. We're big fans. Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key I lived in a place called Okfuskee And I had a little girl in a holler tree I said, little girl, it's plain to see, There ain't nobody that can sing like me She said it's hard for me to see How one little boy got so ugly Yes, my luttle girly, that might be But there ain't nobody that can sing like me Ain't nobody that can sing like me Way over yonder in the minor key Way over yonder in the minor key There ain't nobody that can sing like me We walked down by the Buckeye Creek To see the frog eat the goggle eye bee To hear that west wind whistle to the east There ain't nobody that can sing like me Oh my little girly will you let me see Way over yonder where the wind blows free Nobody can see in our holler tree And there ain't nobody that can sing like me Her mama cut a switch from a cherry tree And laid it on the she and me It stung lots worse than a hive of bees But there ain't nobody that can sing like me Now I have walked a long long ways And I still look back to my tanglewood days I've led lots of girls since then to stray Saying, ain't nobody that can sing like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a naughty boy was that!