Sunday, February 01, 2009

Winter in a small town

Last night Brent and I went to see a movie for the first time in a looooong time. But I saw the trailer for this and couldn't resist. As I expected, it wasn't really deep with grand cinematography, but it was sweet and there were lots of parts that felt like small-town Alberta in the winter. In short, I really liked it. So, for a fluffy make-you-smile chick-flick, filmed partly in Manitoba, and complete with ice-fishing, labour conflicts, small-town restaurants and bars and winter-driving, I recommend "New In Town." Now playing in a theatre near you.

3 comments:

WNK said...

Okay, so this one I DO have to comment on!

I actually used to live in New Ulm (the setting for this film) and was SOOOO disappointed when I found out that none of it was actually filmed there! I'm hesitant to see it because I know it won't have any of what I consider to be "New Ulm" -- the Herman the German monument, the giant hill on Center Street, the breweries, the Glockenspiel, Oktoberfest, etc... the city itself IS really neat (albeit, definitely a tiny little German town) so I was totally bummed that it was filmed in Canada instead. :(

Kirstin said...

Wow it sounds like really a neat town! And I didn't realize it was German...from the sounds of the names, it was a Scandinavian center. I know there was a lot of Scandinavian immigration to Minnesota, so it sounded right. I stand corrected. :)

Ironic that where I was cheering for Canadian film-making, you were seeing the discrepancies.

Thanks for commenting. ;)

Unknown said...

I have to see this movie. Didn't realize the setting was New Ulm. Lots of childhood memories since my mom was born and grew up not far from there. We spent every summer down in Minnesota and did alot of shopping in New Ulm. Cool. Gotta see it! Too bad it wasn't actually filmed there.